Carolyn Hill's Reviews > Looking Forward

Looking Forward by Marcia Willett

Jul 23, 12

Read in June, 2012

Three and a half stars, really. When I'm in the mood for a retreat to the English countryside with likeable characters, I check to see if there's a Marcia Willett book I haven't read. Turns out there was a series, The Chadwick Family Chronicles, which was published in the UK, but not the US. So, I ordered copies for a dollar off the internet. This is the first in the series. The period of this section of the saga is primarily the 1960's, so the children in the book are roughly contemporaries of mine. However, the childhood at an estate house on the coast of Devon, England is quite different from that in a suburban ranch house in the US. That's probably why I'm so enchanted with English books. This is a gentle, slow-moving story that unfolds through the years. There's not much action, mostly the coming of age of three orphaned children and their cousins. The violent tragedy that opens the book is only referenced, not told, so though there was a brutally violent incident that sets the events in motion, the plot is fairly placid from then on, dealing with domestic and relationship issues. If you're in the mood for a book that is more about character than plot, and enjoy a leisurely read while being transported to England in the 60's, then I'd recommend Looking Forward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking Forward.