Fiona's Reviews > Prodigal Summer

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

Dec 06, 08

bookshelves: library-book, treasured, friend-recommendation, 2008, setting-usa, favourites
Recommended to Fiona by: Laura first and then Jeane
Recommended for: everyone who loves nature
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** There are books that have no ending and they continue living long after you've read it. To Kill a Mockingbird was one of them and this is another. It is not I suppose so much that I didn't want it to end, I just can't imagine there being an ending.

I want to come back a year later and find out what happened to all the characters - I want to see what they are doing, where they have gone to. I wonder if Eddie Bondo will come back a year later, find Deanna gone and trace her back to Nannie's farm and find his child? I want him to. I liked Eddie, he should have stayed but that would be too perfect.

I want to watch Cyrs grow and I want to see Lusa find love again. I want to know what Deanna calls her baby. Rachael if it is a girl perhaps?

I want to be in that world as I feel as if I have already met the people living within it.

I love the last paragraph - it so much brings everything together:

... Solitude is a human presumption. Every quiet step is thunder to beetle life underfoot, a tug of impalpable thread on the web pulling mate to mate and predator to prey, a beginning or an end. Every choice is a world made new for the chosen.

There is a lot to learn from this book. I'm going to be sad taking it back to the library - I need to buy this book one day so it can have a pride of place on my shelf.

My thanks to Laura for getting me to read this book. I've been lost in it and just wish I could read it from the start again. It definitely is one of those that I will pick up again another day.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Summer.

11/23/2008 page 6
show 17 hidden updates…

Laura Fiona ! Let me know when you read this one & give me a little notice if you could so I can see where you are ! I love this book.

Fiona I got to buy it first. I think for xmas I'm gonna ask my parents to get me amazon gift thingies and just go mad.

Laura I don't usually buy fiction until AFTER I read it so I can be sure I loved it enough to own it. You buy most of the books you read, don't you?

(Why not just pay your library fine? Is it that much? Is your picture up at the circulation desk? My husband always jokes they have mine there.)

Fiona My library fine at my local library is... colossal. And I haven't taken one back for over a year so what it is now heaven on earth knows. I'm probably banned. It's no worry though, I find the library that is further away more convenient/better anyway.

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Now you gotta read the Poisonwood Bible. Another book to fight for 1st place on the bookshelf.

message 6: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin well I did not read this review - because of the big spoiler alert - thanks for putting that in ;-) but I just wanted to mention that I'm definitely going to be putting this on my TBR near the top - I respect your opinion on books and that's good enough for me!

Robin.

Melissa Fiona,

Nice review of one of my favorite books. I, too, was completely captured by this book and felt like I was one of the neighbors. I wanted to know how things progressed for everyone, but I was at the end of the book :(

This was the first Kingsolver I read. I didn't find myself interested in her novels. My sweetie gave this to me after hearing an interview about it on NPR. After this one, I read many more of her books, enjoyed them, and still believe this one stands out as the favorite.