Shinyfox's Reviews > Into The Shadow

Into The Shadow by Christina Dodd

Sep 09, 12

Recommended for: No one
Read from September 01 to 07, 2012

Unfortunately I can't do negative stars.

This book started out pretty good, much better than the previous two books. I had hope for it! But it turned out to be oh so much worse than the previous two books in the series (I didn't think it was possible!).

The rough beginning is that Karen is in the Himalayan Mountains working on building a hotel for her father. It just so happens that every few nights she has a mysterious visitor who comes to her tent and they have sex. She doesn't know his face or name. This struck me as off... very odd and unusual, but I was willing to go with it. After all, it was two responsible adults having some consensual fun.

Events happen and then her mystery lover is revealed after he saves her life. They have sex and afterwards she beats herself up over it. She thanks him and makes to leave and Adrik - get this folks - pulls a gun on her and threatens her. He forces her onto his motorcycle and takes her to his tent in the middle of a giant mercenary camp and he confines her there (Yes, against her will). Things happen, plot and characters - and then comes the scene that made me sick.

He ties her to the bed and rapes her (but don't worry, the pleasure he 'inflicted on her unwilling body' was REALLY good! *sarcasm*). It's not 'consensual' rape like in the previous books (which was bad enough) but she says no and he just up and ties her and takes her. To top it all off he also decides to put some lovely, charming gold 'slave bracelets' on her; in order to get those off she has to go to a jeweler and get them cut off.

She dwells on the fact that he raped for most of the book when she's around him (hell I would too. I'd be jumping out of my skin if I ever saw someone like him again), either wondering why she doesn't leave Adrik to die in certain situations (because "he deserves it") or (in the beginning) looking out and being afraid of him (which, Adrik tells her, wasn't fear, but anticipation!).

I hated this book with a passion and will not be buying the last book. The only reason I completed the series up to this one was because I had bought the first three in the series (A horrible mistake, as it turns out).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into The Shadow.

09/06/2012 page 276
73.0% "Nope. Nope. Nope. Can I throw this book into the fire? Pretty please?"