Kirsten's Reviews > The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales

The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales by Maria Tatar

Jan 10, 09

bookshelves: fiction, from-library, folklore-and-fairytales
Read in November, 2008

I usually love the Norton Annotated books, but this one was a disappointment. The first let-down was that Tatar also annotated The Annotated Brothers Grimm and The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen, and many of the same fairy tales -- with the same or nearly the same annotations -- are included here. Only about 1/3 of the book is not available elsewhere, mostly Charles Perrault fairy tales. In addition, usually the art reproductions in these books are excellent, but in this case many of them were so small that it was impossible to see any detail (basically, they were thumbnail size), and the reproduction was very dark. Frequently the annotations would mention details in the illustrations that were difficult or downright impossible to see!

This is a fairly good collection if you haven't already read the Grimm and Andersen books, but otherwise it's definitely not one I would recommend purchasing. I really wish Tatar had just done an "Annotated Charles Perrault" or "Annotated French Fairy Tales" instead of this somewhat lazy and slapdash volume.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales.