Elisha Condie's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Jul 23, 2012

bookshelves: so-interesting, book-clubs
Read in July, 2012

This was excellent. I heard about it on NPR and then it was chosen for book club, which was great because then I had to get it to read (for bookclub, not just for myself, see?).

This book explains what is means to be be an introverted person, or to live with one. Everyone is a little bit introverted and extroverted, but some people more than others. Susan Cain explains away the stereotypes of being introverted (all of which I had totally been picturing). She produces scientific studies which prove that even as babies, people can show a tendency to be introverted or extroverted. Introverted babies are affected more by stimulus, and grow into children and adults who are affected more by things, and therefore need some "down" time to process them. I loved this. I have a one child who fits this description, and another who doesn't.

It's fascinating to understand why people - and yourself - act and react the way we do. Cain was very respectful in her treatment of the subject and made the whole thing just really readable. It wasn't easy to plow through at times since there was a lot of info I didn't want to miss, but it was worth it. I've thought about it a lot since I read it. That's my mark of a good book - it is still whispering to you long after you've read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

05/26/2016 marked as: read