Jen's Reviews > Office Girl

Office Girl by Joe Meno

Jul 23, 2012

liked it
Read from July 26 to August 13, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Man,I wanted to like this book. I really did. But by the end I was left sort of unsatisfied. I set down the book and thought, "That's it?" However, that's not to say I wasn't interested enough to read it pretty quickly but it left a rather bland taste in my mouth.

The two main characters, Odile and Jack are both described just enough that they're somewhat believable as real people, yet vague enough to allow the reader to impress their own thoughts upon them too. Any post-college twenty-something year old could easily read into either of these characters as fictional extensions of themselves or someone they know. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

The bottom line here though is that Odile is a classic example of a "manic pixie dream girl". She's a hipster and an art school drop out without a clue of what to do with her life, but she's cute and she's quirky, a little crazy and out there, and she's everything good about the world in Jack's opinion. But she's unobtainable, and that's the problem.

Jack is, for lack of a better term, pathetic. His wife left him (and after reading this, you can kind of see why), and he's trying to figure out what the hell he's supposed to be doing in this world too. And then he meets Odile, and despite some of the first words they speak to each other being about how she's not really interested in any sort of anything, Jack falls for her anyway. He follows her around like a bit of a puppy dog from one strange art project to another, and for 4 great days they live out their little fantasy of a relationship. Yet he's still so surprised when Odile decides to move away. Well, duh, kid. What did you expect?

I don't know. Perhaps I just really wanted a happy ending. Or maybe I just wanted them to stop being so angsty and just do something about their feelings instead of sitting in their cubicles with their eyes averted. Either way, the book was alright. Read it on an airplane or the beach. It's that kind of book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Office Girl.

07/26/2012 page 40