Steve's Reviews > The Enchantress

M_50x66
Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction
Read from July 23 to 27, 2012

I am glad he ended the series with this book. After I finished the one right before this I thought things were getting dragged out and needed to be wrapped up. That said, I enjoyed all of the books. I will admit that one part of the ending caught me totally unaware and I was surprised to be so surprised.

One can't help but compare this series to the Rick Riordan books. I do wonder of the two authors have any connection with each other. Reading the Flamel series and the Percy Jackson series at the same time reminded me of a debate I read about between C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Tolkien and Lewis were apparently close friends and would share their work with each other. Tolkien was a purist when it came to his fantasy and mythology and criticized Lewis for jumbling mythical beasts and figures from assorted mythological systems into his Narnia series. It seems that where Riordan remained pure-ish (given his younger audience target), focusing on Greek mythology and then adding in Roman in his newest series, while Scott has taken pieces from almost every myth in history and mixed them into his story. Both series well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantress.