Margaret's Reviews > Show No Fear

F_50x66
Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: thriller-mystery-suspense
Read in November, 2008

This is a "guilty pleasure" mystery series featuring lead character and lawyer Nina Reilly. I've read the series (in order is recommended), which takes place in California / Nevada, primarily Tahoe in the latter and Monterey area in the former. Harmlessly entertaining mystery reading with a certain amount of meat (no goofing off here) and entertaining courtroom descriptions. The Bad Guys tend to be over the top bad guys - I suppose these people actually exist, although they seem rather cartoonish in these books, notwithstanding the serious tone - but Ms. Reilly of course always prevails, usually at some personal cost.

This book is a "prequel" to the series, and it's lack of quality, editing (really now), and meandering plot leads me to think that the sisters who co-write the series are running out of ideas. The books sets up later relationships and characters who are fleshed out during the series, so there are "A-ha!" moments, but still... it's not a great effort. The plot twist on which the motive rests of the ultimate Bad Guy in this book (there are several), is particularly silly.

One painful lapse: Ms. Reilly is still in law school and mentions in passing that laptops are showing up in her classes. Um, the story takes place in 1990 - I don't think so!

It's time for the authors to head Ms. Reilly back to Tahoe and some meatier cases - skip all the pant-pant stuff with her P.I. on again / off again B.F. and get back to a real mystery.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Show No Fear.