Imogen's Reviews > The Absolutist

The Absolutist by John Boyne

Jul 29, 12

Read from July 23 to 28, 2012

Coming into this novel, I didn't really read the summary except enough to gather that it was about the Great War. Automatically drawn to anything involving war, I took it upon myself to read the book, hoping for something similar to "All Quiet on the Western Front." What I got was much more entrancing, much more emotional, much more memorable.

Although I really shouldn't compare the book to "All Quiet," they are both war books and both give an anti-war stance. However, this is much more than just a book about war--this is a book about love, about how to deal with death and heartbreak. This is a book full of gut-wrenching emotions that pile over you like a steamroller. And yet, I loved every minute of it.

I did not hate the ending, but I wasn't satisfied with it. Nonetheless, I won't let that affect my 5 star rating because it still had me an emotional wreck, which is what it was supposed to do. I will never forget the character of Tristan Sadler, and I've already recommended this to one of my former professors who taught literature on war since the book seems to be a collection of all war-related books read in that class. I'm not kidding when I say you could take "All Quiet," "The Return of the Soldier," and "The Great War and Modern Memory" and come out with this book.

Outstanding. I will be randomly tearing up everywhere I go for the next few days.

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absolutist.

Quotes Imogen Liked

John Boyne
“Do you see the irony at all, Tristan?’
I stare at him and shake my head. He seems determined not to speak again until I do. ‘What irony?’ I ask eventually, the words tumbling out in a hurried heap. ‘That I am to be shot as a coward while you get to live as one.”
John Boyne, The Absolutist