Jessa Russo's Reviews > Faerie Tale

Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist

Aug 09, 12

My first impression of FAERIE TALE? The cover art scared the beejeezus out of me.

Unfortunately, what was scary about the inside of the book wasn't the story, but the actual writing. I couldn't get past the sometimes choppy, sometimes run-on sentence structure, the use of single quoted dialogue instead of double (ack!), or the poor and often random character development. I made it to page 42 and had to give up. I already loathed the mother's character, and couldn't see that changing (save for a miracle and a complete turn-around in her whiny, poor-me attitude).

I hate not finishing a book. Hate it. But when I found myself re-reading sentences and forcing myself to get through FAERIE TALE, I just couldn't do it.

Out of curiosity, I went online to read reviews and was surprised to see so many gave stellar 4 and 5 stars to FAERIE TALE. I was scratching my head in confusion. However, in addition to the many stellar reviews, were a large amount of reviewers that said you just had to get through the first 1/4 of the book - then it would get good. Well, I have far too many books on my TBR list to dredge through a painfully boring first 1/4 of a book that may or may not live up to my expectations. Sorry, but it just wasn’t worth it to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faerie Tale.

07/27/2012 page 42
9.0% "I. Can't. Even. Get. To. Page. 43."