Madrezenith's Reviews > The Angel of Darkness

The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr

F_50x66
Aug 04, 12

Read from July 23 to August 04, 2012

I liked this a lot more than The Alienist. Carr's characters are back- Moore the NY Times writer and playboy, Kreizler the alienist, Howard the gun-toting female PI, the detective sargeants Issacson- alongside historical fugures such as Theodore Roosevelt, lawyer Clarence Darrow, feminist Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and painter Albert Pinkham Ryder. Carr's characters are good, they are better developed here, and I love how this book told the story from the viewpoint of Stevie Taggert, a street kid taken in by Kreizler who cares for Kreizler's horses. Taggert has a funny way of describing Moore, the narrator of the first book. The book focuses on the search for the kidnapper of an infant, who is suspected to be Elspeth Hunter, a manipulative and clever woman who is also suspected as a serial murderer of children. The search takes them through the underworld of New York City and into the small towns of upstate New York. The historical accuracy is an exquisite backdrop to the fictional, very believable story of the murderess and her activities and her personality. The court scenes particularly held a tension for me that would not allow me to put the book down! Well done, and I hope there is a book #3 opn the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel of Darkness.