April Hamilton's Reviews > Desperation

Desperation by Stephen King

Jul 23, 12

it was ok
Read in July, 2012

I really, really wanted to like this book. At last, I thought, King returns to form with a supernatural thriller, and with the wonderful Kathy Bates narrating the audiobook, too! But I couldn't finish it.

The religious overtones are just too much for me. It's not just that they make the book preachy, but that in my opinion, they also make the plotting seem lazy. By the halfway point it became apparent to me that while evil would not always be defeated, when the author had decided that it *would* be stymied in its efforts, the way he made it happen would always be the same: a very young boy of unwavering faith (and a level of maturity that strains credulity) prays, and God answers with a minor miracle. This happens over and over.

I suppose some would say King's trying to make a statement about religion, more than trying to preach, since the boy's prayers aren't always answered. But to me, there's little enjoyment in waiting to see which prayer will be answered and which one won't (and therefore learn who will survive and who won't).

A disappointment. Five stars for Kathy Bates' narration, one star for the book.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperation.

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I felt the exact same way. You spoke my mind.

April Hamilton So disappointing. I miss old-school King so much that every time he comes out with a new novel (which I know I won't like, since I haven't liked any of his stuff since the Dark Tower series) I just go back and re-read one of the old classics.

message 3: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica This was the first of his that i read.

April Hamilton If you like supernatural thrillers try The Talisman, Salem's Lot, The Stand or The Shining. There's even *more* scary stuff in The Shining novel than they could fit into the movie.

message 5: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Okay, thanks. I loved the beginning, i just didnt like the end of this one. /: