Angela's Reviews > Broxo

Broxo by Zack Giallongo

Jul 23, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: comics-and-graphic-novels, middle-grade

I was hoping to love this like I love ZITA THE SPACEGIRL or THE UNSINKABLE WALKER BEAN, also from First Second, but I was a little disappointed. Here's why:

I thought I was ready for the 10-14 age group on this one (the dark creatures reflected in Broxo's sword clues the reader into this, if nothing else). I wasn't quite with it and I'm not sure if that is the uncertainty of the tween predicament, or an awkwardness in the characters.

Firstly, the female lead (Zora) is "saved" at three times by the companion character (Broxo) in the first half of the story. Really? Zora does make valuable contributions to the mission in the end, but not until later, after she has already been established as a wayward character-in-need-of-saving.

Secondly, our hero has to untangle our adventureous young lady's hair from some briars in a rustic skinny-dipping scene, where she tries to maintain her modesty. Again, aren't we beyond this already?

Thirdly, the "flashback" scenes add a layer of complexity to the story, but are not as distinguished from the contemporary action as I would have liked.

Finally, supporting characters are explored, but their motivations are not always clear or fully developed. The only one I really took to is the loyal, friendly best companion character, which was likable, but not original in any way.

The color palette, illustrations and format are appealing, but not a set of characters I expect to find myself recommending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broxo.