Joanna's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Aug 01, 07

bookshelves: old-timey-classics
Recommended for: hrmm....not quite sure yet.
Read in July, 2007

I'm not terribly impressed by Holden Caulfield. I mean, Salinger created a great character, but I kept waiting for something interesting to happen to him, and I was three-quarters of the way through the book before I realized that nothing interesting was ever going to happen to him, ever. Not a terrible book by any means, but not one of my favorites either. It was entertaining reading at best.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Eric If it's possible for a book to be both a milestone and overrated, this would be one. I think the language an apathy of the character were shocking when this was first written, and Holden Caulfield was the template for all future "anti-heroes" in literature and film.

On the other hand, the fact that nothing extraordinary happens to Holden is probably meant to exemplify the basis for his nihilism.

Joanna I could see how he could be shocking for the times. We're so much more jaded now! I guess I just don't really see why it's a favorite of so many people. I expected so much more from it.