Heather Shaw's Reviews > Who We Were: A Snapshot History of America

Who We Were by Michael F. Williams

Nov 12, 08

bookshelves: art

Who We Were is a visual commentary of America, but with the push of a button rather than the labor of paint, of special moments rather than the everyday. This collection begins in 1888 and ends in 1972, 350 photos later. (The authors say they looked at a million photos over ten years.)

There are kids and kisses, neon, airplanes, floods, hangings, a family’s pig, Homestead Act houses, patriotic displays of vegetables, four mice dead in a trap (a woman holds the trap) double exposures, and plain silliness. Great good fun and highly inspirational; you’ll want to haul the old pics out of the closet and send them to scan my photos to make your own book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who We Were.

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Cahan Thanks Heather. I'm one of the co-authors of Who We Were, which was named one of the best books of 2008 by National Public Radio.

You certainly get the gist of the book--a new way to look at America. We hope the books inspires people to cherish their own snapshots and to understand that America's story can be told many ways. Snapshots tell the real story of America because they are of real people and real experiences--and because they are filled with heartfelt emotion.

For more about the book, feel free to look at our website, Cityfilespress.com...Richard Cahan