Kathy's Reviews > The Time Keeper

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

Sep 02, 12

Read from September 01 to 02, 2012

I LOVED this book, 4.5 stars, rounding it to 5. The book was a slow start for me but the last third to half more than made up for it. Mitch Albom has done it again.

Dor is a simple peasant boy whom is curious about trying to figure out the passage between sunrise and sunset, the phases of the moon, and begins, though he does not realize it, to be the first true measurer of the phenomenon of time. As such, he is chosen by God to be the first "Time Keeper".

Years later, Alli, the wife of and the beloved of Dor is close to death. In his desperation to save her and plead with the gods to save her he runs to the terraced pyramid that his friend, "Nim" has built to ascend to the heavens. Nim has used the tower of Babel to climb to the gods to defeat them and become omnipotent. As Dor races up the steps to the tower, others follow and as the tower collapses Dor is swept into the abyss of time and becomes "The Time Keeper".

Centuries later, he is given a reprieve from his immortality to save two people. Sarah Lemon is a high school girl that is studious, brilliant, unpopular, unloved and oh so incredibly lonely. She wants time to speed up. Victor Delamonte is a self made billionaire, fourteenth richest person in the world and dying of liver cancer. He wants time to never end and desires immortality. Dor is sent to the world to teach these two people the true meaning of time.

"There is a reason God limits our days."
"Why?"
"To make each one precious."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Keeper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christa who loves the library Thank you so much for recommending this one, Kathy! I enjoyed it do much!

Kathy Oh I am so glad Christa..let's try to remember that each day is precious. 8^)