Phyllis's Reviews > Poseur

Poseur by Rachel Maude

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: fashion, fiction

The first volume of a short-lived teen fiction series about four girls doing an independent study at their fancy pants private school that involves starting their own brand of clothing. This was a real mixed bag for me, mainly because I am way too old to be reading teen fiction (I found it at the Salvation Army and the pictures intrigued me). The only parts of the book that really came alive for me was when the characters were talking about clothes. In the first chapter one of the girls describes shopping at a vintage store and the awesome finds her friend gets and it's intoxicating if you're really into secondhand/vintage shopping. But when the typical teen drama romance and intrigues started, it got boring because the characters are all flimsy archetypes. Also, the Franchophile girl has a super effeminate gay sidekick who is so outrageously stereotypical I kind of wanted to call PFLAG on Rachel Maude's ass.

The best parts of the book are the witty references to fashion history and the dainty & cute pencil illustrations by the author (including a transcendentally bizarre drawing of Paris Hilton in a nun's habit that I want to frame and hang in my living room). I also thought it was clever that a character named Melissa Moon had a promotional website for herself called MOON WALKS ON MAN.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poseur.