dameolga's Reviews > Timeless

Timeless by Gail Carriger

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-urban-fantasy, steampunk
Read in July, 2012

Warning: Inevitably contains spoilers for the first four books.

I totally cried after I finished reading this book. T_T

Some parts are just so touching. After five books worth of upheaval, drama, witty repartee and the occasional tender moments, these characters have practically become a close-knit family. Even little Prudence whom we finally get to meet in the last part of Heartless has easily become a dear character just within the first half of Timeless--so much so that I was actually startled when I remembered that she hadn't been present since book one.

Of course, pragmatic Alexia and "always amorous" Conall Maccon with young Prudence and--I suppose--the splendidly eccentric Lord Akeldama have "literally" become a family, but every character, the surprisingly manipulative Professor Lyall, the mysterious butler Floote, the opportunistic Madame Lefoux, the dandy Biffy (Squee! One of my new favorite characters), the adorably silly Ivy, the dramatic thespian Tunstell, the Gamma Major Channing Channing of the Chesterfield Channings, long-dead Alessandro Tarabotti, even Formerly Lefoux, inventor extraordinaire Gustave Trouve, troublemaker Quesnel, helpful Boots, stiff-lipped Rumpet, and new characters Primrose and Percy, (I probably skipped somebody) are all in various ways and capacities part of the extended family. (I don't have it in me to count the petty Felicity or anyone from the Woolsey Hive as part of the gang.)

This last book really rounds up the series beautifully. I applaud Carriger's attention to detail and imagination. The plot from the beginning has been well and thoroughly planned, and this is evident when all those floating facts from the entire series comes together in Timeless. Even the title fits perfectly. Just thinking about those last few scenes makes me tear up a bit.

I can't help but speculate on how Carriger will handle the spin-off Parasol Protectorate Abroad series. No doubt, Prudence will be a main character, but I wonder which other characters will appear. Overall, this series has been fun, suspenseful, funny, and just plain wonderful. Sometimes being stuck in an ongoing series is nerve-wrecking, so yay! A conclusion!--though there are enough loose ends to make you wonder about the future of their world.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.