Sally G.'s Reviews > Shout Her Lovely Name

Shout Her Lovely Name by Natalie Serber

Jul 23, 12

Read in July, 2012

I rarely read Short Story collections. I'm not exactly sure why this is - but I tend to prefer investing reading time to a novel rather than what can feel like only a chapter.

This book was brought to my attention via Oprah's Summer Reading List featured in the July issue of her magazine - and I almost passed it by (because it's a series of short stories) ~ and for whatever reason, I not only read through the book's summary, but also clicked through to First Pages Excerpt (I receive O Magazine via my iPad)~ immediately purchased a Kindle version and finished the collection within days.

Several factors motivated these actions. First, the excerpt shared really connected with me and I just HAD to read the story in its entirety to see how/if resolution was reached. (See for yourself, here: Shout Her Lovely Name First Pages)

Next,9 of the 11 stories actually featured, in some capacity, two characters - providing slices of their lives in different time periods, highlighting their transformation as a result of history and/or life circumstances.

Finally ~ this is a book about Mothers and Daughters -- some Mothers we only get to know as Mothers, one key character, Ruby, we experience as both - a daughter first, then a Mother, and also - as a woman finding her way. It's a story about women coming of age and how relationships in our lives, and the ways we choose to meet them, can create life paths that may or may not serve us - and how we then respond to that.

I was grateful to have stumbled upon this book and rated it 9/10.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shout Her Lovely Name.

Jennifer Rookey I loved the book too. I devoured this book. I write short stories and before I became a writer I felt the same about novel versus the short story. Then I stumbled onto some amazing stories and changed my mind. You should check out Ann Packer...Swim Back to Me. Powerful short stories that linger.❤