J's Reviews > Isadore's Secret: Sin, Murder, and Confession in a Northern Michigan Town

Isadore's Secret by Mardi Jo Link

3191101
Jul 23, 12

liked it

Northern Michigan. Murder mystery. Local author. Based on a true story. Polish Catholics. Many things drew me to this book.

But it is hard to rate... On one hand, I fell in love with the real-life town and people of Isadore through reading this book. On the other hand, I grew to hate the author who seems to be sneering and mocking them throughout. The author is heavy handed in spots with her opinions of people and assumptions of fact - most of which seemed off to me. She is sympathetic to some folks and incredibly critical and harsh to others. Her interpretations of things didn’t seem rooted in facts, but in her own biases. The author also takes it upon herself to “explain” Catholic teachings - and usually displays an inadequate & disinterested understanding. She doesn’t seem to understand or accept the spiritual world, which greatly hinders her understanding of the Catholic church. She comes across as a know-it-all who is talking about things of which she only has second or third hand knowledge. She also displays heavy anti-religion biases and seems to seek out opportunities to expose the misdeeds of Catholic priests & nuns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isadore's Secret.