Nate LeBoutillier's Reviews > Open

Open by Andre Agassi

Jul 22, 12

This thing fully kept my interest throughout 400 pages with, above all, some solid writing--a quality often found lacking in sports (auto)biographies that I've read. I wonder how much Agassi himself wrote, especially after reading the afterword, yet noting that it's listed as an autobiography on the cover and everywhere else. The framed format of beginning and ending with his final match was a good move, though this thing was most interesting when ruminating about things un-tennis, such as Andre's relationship with his father, Brooke Shields, Stefanie Graf, his trainer Gil, and others, his rise to stardom, his misrepresentation in the "Image is Everything" Canon camera ads, and, of course, his faux frosted mullet and penchant for playing sans undies late in his career. Would've been interesting to get Andre's take on some other major cultural events that happened during his playing career--uh, 9/11, maybe, or more on the Monica Seles stabbing, or the like. But this revolved around tennis and made no apologies for it, and I can appreciate that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open.