Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Wednesdays

The Wednesdays by Julie Bourbeau

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, adventure, childhood, fantasy, middle-grade, fiction
Read from July 22 to 23, 2012

Ever had a case of the Monday's? Well, Julie Bourbeau explores that theme with a slight twist. In The Wednesdays, Max's village is stuck with a huge case of the Wednesdays - on Wednesday of course! Anything and everything goes wrong one day of the week... so in order to avoid those things happening the entire town shuts down and everyone hides. After all, you don't want to let a Wednesday into your house!

So what happens when Max peeks out of the window and lets a Wednesday in? Well.. that's the story, isn't it?

I was completely delighted by this middle-grade adventure. It had mystery, fantastic secondary characters, and riddles galore. I don't often pick up middle-grade level books, but when I do I make sure that they have something unique about them, and The Wednesdays did not disappoint on that level. It was charming, full of fun, and definitely something I'll be recommending to my nieces and nephews to read.

For you parents out there: this is a great book filled with a lot of action and adventure. I could not find anything to object to in the story for first graders on, but there is a bit of scary stuff toward the end of the book. I'd recommend a read-through first if that worries you. And even though the book seems long, I flew through it in just a few hours. Very easy to check out first.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wednesdays.