Patti Loves FAB Romance's Reviews > The Siren

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, erotic

** spoiler alert ** PJV Quickie: Dark, edgy, thought-provoking and erotic; The Siren is not for the faint at heart: It sucked me in, spit me out, and left me pleading “again!”

Review
Nora Sutherlin is a woman with many talents; she’s a best-selling author of BDSM erotica who’s just written what is possibly her most meaningful book to date. She’s switching to a bigger publisher and really wants this book to succeed. To that end, her new publisher has given her book to editor Zachary Easton. Zach is the editor who’s going to make or break Nora’s book. He says the book is good but she’s going to have to take it apart and rebuild it from the ground up. It’s going to be brutal work, but what comes out on the other side is going to be extraordinary…

I’m torn. On one hand, I loved The Siren. On the other hand, I had some serious problems with it.

Let’s start with what I loved:
Tiffany Reisz writes the hell out of a story. The writing is absolutely fabulous. Honestly, If not for two issues that I had with the story, I would be giving it 5 stars. These characters Ms. Reisz has written leap off the page and into my brain where they settle in and stay, even when I’m not reading. She is able to work together a story that is bleak, sexy, alarming, and hopeful. Make no mistake, The Siren is brutal. But it’s also sensual and smart.

The entire book is a study in contradiction: Nora’s past as a sub and her present career as a Dom; her former Dom Soren, so brutal and controlling, who is an antithesis to her live-in student, sweet, virginal Wesley. The contrast between Nora’s past and present, between her professional life and her home life pull the reader in and tangle your thoughts until you don’t know which is the ‘real’ Nora and which is a front. You will be helpless to stop reading as Zach slowly gets pulled into Nora’s life, bit by bit, fighting to hold on to himself even as he lets go. He’s in charge, but he’s not. Zach is struggling with his own extremes: married yet separate, working but finished, tethered to the things in his life but feeling adrift.

Now, after all that raving about the awesomeness of The Siren, what could possibly cause me to complain about this amazing book? Two things:

****SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER****
Nora’s previous Dom, Soren, is her priest. She met him in school and he began grooming her for their relationship when she was still a student. While they don’t actually have sex until she is 20, I have a problem not only with the fact that he was in a position of authority and she was a minor, but the fact that he is a priest bothers me. A lot. (Full disclosure: I am Catholic) My second issue is that Soren sets her up with a 15-year-old boy. Not knowing he is a minor, Nora has BDSM sex with him.
*END SPOILER*

I really feel like the author’s writing stands on its own and doesn’t need a sensational “twist” for word of mouth to spread about The Siren. I promise, if you read this book you will be thinking about it for a long, long time; the next book you read after you finish The Siren will pale in comparison.

I will definitely be picking up the second book in this series, The Angel, as soon as possible.

Recommendations
For fans of erotic romance looking for a dark, thoughtful read that’s going to take you someplace slightly uncomfortable; you’ll be glad you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Siren.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elle I feel the same way. My thoughts are all over the place about this one but I did enjoy the read.

Patti Loves FAB Romance Her writing is mesmerizing, she's so very talented. But,yes, my thoughts are all over the place too.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey there Patti, Excellent review of The Siren. I'm so fascinated to read the varying perspectives of this read. I just posted my review here this week as well and I was left quite disturbed by the book and offer a different viewpoint but that's totally cool. What floats one person's boat sinks another. I'd love to chat about the book with you sometime.

I'll leave a comment on your blog as well.

;)

ALPHAreader I'm reading this one now, and I'm surprisingly enjoying it. Looking forward to reading your review once I've finished :)