Julie's Reviews > Around the World in Eighty Days

Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

5209945
Jul 22, 12

Read in July, 2012

This famous English science fiction novel featuring a hot-air balloon? 1) It was not written in English, though the main character is mean to be the quintessential Englishman 2) It's not science fiction: all the technology in the book existed at the time it was written, and none of it was even new. 3) There is no balloon! Not a one! Every edition of this book I've ever seen (except that Penguin one above) has a balloon on it, so I kept waiting for Phileas Fogg to hop on a balloon. At one point, he briefly considers the idea, then dismisses it as impractical.

I listened to the unabridged audiobook, featuring the marvelous Jim Dale, of Harry Potter audiobook fame. I had borrowed it from the library for my children, but they found it slow-moving and didn't care for the description, so I listened to it on my own and enjoyed it.

The characters are flat, and the perceptions of the people in other countries whom Fogg encounters about what you'd expect for a book published in western Europe in 1873, but it's still an entertaining tale.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Around the World in Eighty Days.