willaful's Reviews > Always in My Heart

Always in My Heart by Kayla Perrin

Aug 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: series, reunited-or-have-history, secrets-and-lies, free-to-be-a-family, fresh-scent-of-pining-hero
Read on August 05, 2012

An accident (or was it?) has left Callie more conscious of the fact that her son has only one parent, and coming home for her aunt's funeral is the perfect time to finally tell her ex that he has a child. Nigel is the perfect dad and the reasons they broke up don't seem very important anymore... but can Nigel ever forgive her for running away and lying to him?

If I were rating solely on the writing, I’d give this 2 1/2 stars. The style is bland and there’s a lot of grating repetition; when every character uses the same phrase to describe a situation (“couldn’t be faithtful” is said about an offscreen character three times) it doesn’t feel real to me.

I’m rating it up a bit because I found the portrayal of Nigel so appealing. He’s very vulnerable, having loved Callie devotedly and been deeply wounded by her. Unlike many romance heroes, his pain doesn’t cause him to act out in hyper-masculinized ways; he’s a family man at heart and is still hoping to find the right woman to settle down with. Although he’s wary of Callie, fearful she’ll run away from him again, he embraces his newfound son with complete commitment.

There's a little running mystery about Callie's mom that will presumably be explored more in the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always in My Heart.