Danika's Reviews > South of the Border, West of the Sun

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami

193449
Dec 28, 08

Read in December, 2008

I'm not sure what to say about this book. On one hand, I couldn't put it down and read it almost nonstop until it was done. I was completely caught up by the story of Hajime and Shimamoto and couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. The down side, is that there's basically no resolution. I didn't like the ending- the book kind of just stops. We never learn Shimamoto's story at all. Add to that some of the other complaints about unlikeable characters, esp. Hajime who treats women with a certain lack of regard. So I'm on the fence, about the book and the author.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of the Border, West of the Sun.

Laila I read this a LOOOOOONG time ago but I think I loved it.

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody I haven't read this one yet but I'll have to give it a go. My favorite so far has been Kafka on the Shore.

Emily I got so sick of Shimamoto's whole mystery woman schtick. It felt so played out, and I just wanted her to get over it and tell us the truth about everything.

Rob M. Fierstein Thinking of it as a ghoststory, which it is; its just not spelled out in such a definitive way, at first . . . but, if you were to re-read it with all of the imagery of death and cemetaries, even the view from Hajime's home is of a cemetary, and Izumi at close to the end meeting Hajime, where else, a cemetary, and S seems more and more an inhabitant of the underworld . . . makes this a jarring and visceral read.