Stephanie Ward's Reviews > The Savage Blue

The Savage Blue by Zoraida Córdova

May 31, 13

bookshelves: blog-tour, ebook, for-review, netgalley
Read in May, 2013

3.5 Stars

'The Savage Blue' is the second book in a young adult fantasy series that continues to follow main character Tristan - a teenage merman - as he searches for the Sea Throne and the trident that will make him king. On top of this mission, he must lead his people in a deadly war against those that will stop at nothing to make sure he doesn't reach the throne. Then there's Layla - Tristan's best friend since childhood and the only girl he's ever truly loved. But a deep betrayal will cause Tristan to choose between Layla and his place on the Sea Throne. Will they reach the trident before it's too late? Will Tristan be forced to lose another dear friend in the fierce battle that's raging beneath the ocean's waves?
This was a great second installment in a fast paced and exciting fantasy adventure series. We see Tristan's character grow and mature more in this book, as he deals with the loss of a good friend and must lead his people on a dangerous quest to find the trident. Tristan is a great main character, with his sense of humor and sarcasm, along with his deep loyalty to his family, his friends, and his people - all of these qualities make him a realistic and enjoyable lead. Not many books, especially in this genre, have a guy as the main character, so that gives the series an edge over other books out there right now. I like Tristan's insight and his outlook on things refreshing. The plot was interesting and I loved learning more about the Sea Throne, the trident, and the history of the merfolk. The author really did a good job with the descriptions and backstory behind the plot, which I feel made it more complex and layered. The writing was well done with a great pace and effortless flow to the book. There were a great mix of genres in the novel, including action, fantasy, adventure, and romance. The romantic part of the book is a great addition, but it doesn't overshadow the main plot line of the book. I thought it does a good job at making the plot more believable and realistic - especially with the problems that Tristan encounters. It shows that even though he's a merman and trying to find the trident, he still has to deal with normal teenage problems. I found Tristan's inner dialogue and the conversations between characters to be witty and fun, and it felt natural - not forced or awkward, which made the story all the more believable for me. Overall, this was a great second book in a fun and interesting YA fantasy series. I definitely recommend it for fans of the genre or those looking for a fun series about mermaid mythology.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Savage Blue.

05/31/2013 marked as: read