Misty's Reviews > Mairelon the Magician

Mairelon the Magician by Patricia C. Wrede

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, juvenile-ya, sci_fi-fantasy, series, historical, own, gender-bender
Read from July 20 to 22, 2012

I'll try to review this in full later, but for now:

I read this as part of the A Matter of Magic set, which has this and the next book in 1 volume; since I'm not done reading A Matter of Magic, and don't know when I'll get back to it, I'll just talk about this individually for now.

Basically, I love Patricia C Wrede. She writes characters that I just adore, and this - mostly - was no exception. Everything was going along swimmingly until suddenly it WASN'T.

I'm giving this a 4 because I'm setting aside this HUGE WEIRD PERIOD at the end that went effing crazy. Turned into a total slap-stick sideshow. I'm pretty sure that EVERY character in the book was gathered in 1 room, and all under suspicion, at one point. And then they all Scooby Doo-ed.
You know that thing where everyone just spills their guts and WAY overshares, explaining away every damn thing?
That.
That happened.

I hate that.

But it was like some weird glitch, or something, because aside from that (and my sometimes-irritation at the slang), I really enjoyed this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mairelon the Magician.