Kimberly's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Kimberly Liked

Suzanne Collins
“Technically, I am unarmed. But no one should ever underestimate the harm that fingernails can do. Especially if the target is unprepared.”

Suzanne Collins
“Yes,” I whisper. The red blinking light on one of the cameras catches my eye. I know I’m being recorded. “Yes,” I say more forcefully. Everyone is drawing away from me—Gale, Cressida, the insects—giving me the stage. But I stay focused on the red light. “I want to tell the rebels that I am alive. That I’m right here in District Eight, where the Capitol has just bombed a hospital full of unarmed men, women, and children. There will be no survivors.” The shock I’ve been feeling begins to give way to fury. “I want to tell people that if you think for one second the Capitol will treat us fairly if there’s a cease-fire, you’re deluding yourself. Because you know who they are and what they do.” My hands go out automatically, as if to indicate the whole horror around me. “This is what they do! And we must fight back!”

I’m moving in toward the camera now, carried forward by my rage. “President Snow says he’s sending us a message? Well, I have one for him. You can torture us and bomb us and burn our districts to the ground, but do you see that?” One of the cameras follows as I point to the planes burning on the roof of the warehouse across from us. The Capitol seal on a wing glows clearly through the flames. “Fire is catching!” I am shouting now, determined that he will not miss a word. “And if we burn, you burn with us!”

Suzanne Collins
“There are much worse games to play.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real," he whispers.
"Real," I answer. "Because that's what you and I do, protect each other.”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, he's on top of it. It was volunteer only, but he pretended not to notice me waving my hand in the air," says Haymitch. "See? He's already demonstrated good judgment.”

Suzanne Collins
“Even though I don't ask, Plutarch gives me cheerful updates on the phone like "Good news, Katniss! I think we've almost got him convinced you're not a mutt!" Or "Today he was allowed to feed himself pudding!”

Suzanne Collins
“I roll my eyes. "So when did I become so special? When they carted me off to the Capitol?"
"No, about six months before that. Right after New Year's. We were in the Hob, eating some slop of Greasy Sae's. And Darius was teasing you about trading a rabbit for one of his kisses. And I realized...I minded.”

Suzanne Collins
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”

Suzanne Collins
“I raise my left arm and twist my neck down to rip off the pill on my sleeve. Instead my teeth sink into flesh. I yank my head back in confusion to find myself looking into Peeta’s eyes, only now they hold my gaze. Blood runs from the teeth marks on the hand he clamped over my nightlock.

“Let me go!” I snarl at him, trying to wrest my arm from his grasp.

“I can’t,” he says.”

Suzanne Collins
“My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games. I escaped. The Capitol hates me........”

Suzanne Collins
“Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!”

“I knew you'd kiss me."
"How?" I say. Because I didn't know myself.
"Because I am in pain," He say's. "That's the only way I get your attention.”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, Peeta, Don't make me sorry I restarted your heart.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're not afraid I'll kill you tonight?"
"Like I couldn't take you.”

“Ladies and gentlemen....."
His voice is quiet, but mine rings through the room.
"Let the Seventy-sixth Hunger Games begin!”

“What about Gale?"
"He's not a bad kisser either," I say shortly.
"And it was okay with both of us? You kissing the other?" He asks.
"No. It wasn't okay with either of you. But I wasn't asking your permission," I tell him.
Peeta laughs again, coldly, dismissively. "Well, you're a piece of work, aren't you?”

Suzanne Collins
“I must have loved you a lot.”

Suzanne Collins
“Is that why you hate me?" I ask.
"Partly," She admits. "Jealousy is certainly involved. I also think you're a little hard to swallow. With your tacky romantic drama and your defender-of-the-helpless act. Only it isn't an act, which makes you more unbearable. Please feel free to take this personally.”

Suzanne Collins
“I vote yes....for Prim.”

Suzanne Collins
“Ally." Peeta says the words slowly, tasting it. "Friend. Lover. Victor. Enemy. Fiancee. Target. Mutt. Neighbor. Hunter. Tribute. Ally. I'll add it to the list of words I use to try to figure you out. The problem is, I can't tell what's real anymore, and what's made up.”

“Real or not real?”

Suzanne Collins
“If I could grow wings, I could fly. Only people can't grow wings," he say's. "Real or not real?"
"Real," I say. "But people don't need wings to survive."
"Mockingjays do.”

Suzanne Collins
“I think....you still have no idea. The effect you can have.”

Suzanne Collins
“No one knows what to do with you, girlie.”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, my dear Miss Everdeen. I thought we had an agreement not to lie to each other.”

Suzanne Collins
“Katniss....he's still trying to keep you alive.”
tags: gale

Suzanne Collins
“Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear.”

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick!" Something between a shriek and a cry of joy. A lovely if somewhat bedraggled young woman--dark tangled hair, sea green eyes--runs toward us in nothing but a sheet. "Finnick!" And suddenly, it's as if there's no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other. They collide, enfold, lose their balance, and slam against a wall, where they stay. Clinging into one being. Indivisible.
A pang of jealousy hits me. Not for either Finnick or Annie but for their certainty. No one seeing them could doubt their love.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.”

Suzanne Collins
“Because something is significantly wrong with a creature that sacrifices its children's lives to settle its differences. You can spin it any way you like... But in the end, who does it benefit? No one. The truth is, it benefits no one to live in a world where these things happen”

Suzanne Collins
“I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking.”

Suzanne Collins
“They'll either want to kill you, kiss you, or be you.”

Suzanne Collins
“But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction.”

Suzanne Collins
“Katniss. I remember about the bread.”

Suzanne Collins
“there's plenty of blame to go around.”

Suzanne Collins
“Delly lost her temper at Peeta over how he treated you. She got very squeaky. It was like someone stabbing a mouse with a fork repeatedly.”

Suzanne Collins
“Some walks you have to take alone.”

Suzanne Collins
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

Suzanne Collins
“They more than do their work, they take pride in it. Like Cinna.”

Suzanne Collins
“Poison. The perfect weapon for a snake.”

Suzanne Collins
“There's a chance that the old Peeta, the one who loves you, is still inside. Trying to get back to you. Don't give up on him.”

Suzanne Collins
“I'm not their slave," the man mutters.
"I am," I say. "That's why I killed Cato... and he killed Thresh... and he killed Clove... and she tried to kill me. It just goes around and around, and who wins? Not us. Not the districts. Always the capitol. But I'm tired of being a piece in their games.”

Suzanne Collins
“Fine. I'll train. But I'm going to the stinking capitol if I have to kill a crew and fly there myself." Says Johanna.
"Probably best not to bring that up in training," I say. "But it's nice to know I'll have a ride.”

Suzanne Collins
“Peeta and I had adjoining cells in the capitol. We're very familiar with each other's screams.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're punishing him over and over for things that are out of his control.”

Suzanne Collins
“Don't let him take you from me.”

Suzanne Collins
“I clench his hands to the point of pain. "Stay with me."
His pupils contract to pinpoints, dialate again rapidly, and then return to something resembling normalcy. "Always," he murmurs.”

Suzanne Collins
“Closing my eyes doesn't help. Fire burns brighter in the darkness.”

Suzanne Collins
“But I don't know what to him about the aftermath of killing a person. About how they never leave you.”

Suzanne Collins
“An ability to look into the confusing mess of life and see things for what they are.”
tags: life