Lucy's Reviews > Brownies and Broomsticks

Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: mystery, the-south, library-book
Read in July, 2012

This is the first in a new mystery series, set in Savannah, Georgia. Katie Lightfoot is trying something new in the aftermath of a bad breakup. She moves to Savannah to help her aunt with a new bakery. When an obnoxious woman is murdered right outside the bakery, her uncle is accused because of a recent argument. Katie investigates (of course) with the aid of two very attractive local men, her newly acquired cairn terrier, and the brand new knowledge that she is a witch, as is her aunt. She waffles between belief and skepticism (of course). There's almost too much introduction and set-up going on, but some interesting characters emerge, and the Savannah setting is interesting and not over-used (at least in my experience). Bakeries and food are very popular right now. There are 2 recipes included.
Not great, but fun in many parts. I especially like Mungo the Magnificent, the cairn terrier who is Katie's familiar. The main problem with reading about bakeries like this is that I want to find one like it with all the yummy-sounding muffins & cupcakes or whatever.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brownies and Broomsticks.