Lena Grey's Reviews > The Florist

The Florist by Serena Yates

Jan 14, 2016

Read in July, 2012 , read count: 2

Nothing settles down a restless spirit like finding someone to love. Dylan White, of 'The Florist' by Serena Yates, meets Sean Mellick and quickly realizes that his wanderlust is fading fast, that he's actually found somewhere he belongs. Like the saying goes, home is where the heart is, and his heart is definitely with Sean.

Comparing and contrasting Dylan and Sean's personalities gave me greater insight into their motives and ambitions. Dylan is restless, unsettled, spontaneous, funny, and outgoing while Sean is contented, established, and more reserved. Yet, they both have restless hearts. They realize what they don't want; they know that something important is missing in their lives and are both either consciously or subconsciously searching for it. Dylan and Sean form an amazingly quick but utterly strong bond; when they become involved their lives take on a different perspective. Things which seemed of utmost importance before, are suddenly not so important anymore. The only thing that is important is being together and working out their challenges as a team—and what a team they make!

Another thing that impresses me about Sean and Dylan is the great respect and admiration they have for each other. They are able to look beyond past experiences and treat each other with the love and consideration they need to make it work. It's that important to them—more important than any future prestige, wealth, or fame. Being together brings out the best, most honest parts of them and allows Sean and Dylan to be who they truly are. Some say that love is blind, but that's not what I believe; seeing ourselves though the eyes of someone who loves us brings out the very best part of our souls, which, in turn, gives us the confidence to love ourselves as well as the one we love.

My second reading of this story presented a clearer perspective into Sean and Dylan's personalities and motives. Dylan is searching for something that “fits” but he's yet to find a place, much less a person, that has intrigued him enough to want to put the amount of effort it will take to make the seeds of his ideas bloom. Everywhere he's been, whatever job he's taken, he still isn't satisfied. Dylan keeps searching for more and doesn't want to stop until he finds it; he refuses to compromise by accepting second best. Sean went into his present position with energy, excitement, and a desire to make a difference; but he is soon disillusioned. Helping people get or keep what they deserve is an admirable one, but only if it done properly. When it disregards truthfulness, the integrity of the lawyers involved is irreparably damaged. One thing Sean is determined to do is maintain his self-respect. He knows that he can't do that when winning a case is more important than the truth. Money isn't everything and Sean has enough faith in himself and his abilities that he's not going to compromise his principles to do so.

When Sean and Dylan meet, they soon realize that convention and common sense doesn't reign as it pertains to their relationship. Regardless of how quickly these feelings have grown, there is something about the other man, in and out of bed, that feels so right they can't deny its pull. With such a strong force working on them their hearts sense that their wandering is over and they've both finally found a place they can call home. Thanks, Serena, for bringing these two awesome men together.

NOTE: This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Florist.