G33z3r's Reviews > Fifth Quarter

Fifth Quarter by Tanya Huff

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: sword-sorcery
Read from August 09 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy

I found "Fifth Quarter" to be a disappointing follow-up to "Sing the Four Quarters".

This novel is set in the same world as "Four Quarters", a feudal land where Bards can sing requests to the Kigh, the unseen spirits of Air, Fire, Earth, and Water. But this story is set in a different empire, where Bards are rare. None of the characters from "Four Quarters" reappear in the story.

Instead, the main characters are a pair of sister and brother assassins of the Empire's army, Vree and Bannon, plus the man who they have been assigned to assassinate for leading a rebellion. When the assassination leads the assassins into their intended victim's trap, the unusual threesome end up bickering allies on a journey across the kingdom.

This trio of personalities isn't very likable. Vree is an assassin trained from birth, the older of the siblings, and is struggling with sanity and her emotions. Bannon is less sane, more vain and selfish. The man they intended to kill turns out to be guilty of far worse crimes than simple rebellion. So, not a very likable cast of characters. (A Bard, more likable but less well developed as a character, is added to the mix late in the story.)

Equally disappointing, the fast-moving action story lacks Tanya Huff's usual light touch of humor, which I sorely miss.

It seems the next book in this quartet will continue to follow Vree's adventures. After persevering to the end of this fantasy novel, my main reward is the hope that this story's conclusion change things enough that the next one might> be better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifth Quarter.