Lis's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in July, 2012

Wow. And that is not a "Wow this book is SO AMAZING I could DIE" kind of wow, but an "I can't believe this woman could have been so incredibly STUPID and yet NOT die" way.

How do you decided to do something so potentially dangerous without even having the teeniest idea of how to do it? How can you decide to hike hundreds of miles, all alone, when you've never hiked, never read any information on how to hike, never broken in your hiking boots, never test-packed your backpack, or even tried any of this stuff ON? How do you stuff your pack so full of stuff you can't even lift it...without having the slightest clue how to use any of the stuff you're packing? I mean...I'm not a hiker either, but some of this stuff is just simple common sense.

And that's just the incredibly stupid stuff she did right before she started the hike. I won't even comment on the stuff she did before.

Best thing I say for this book is that it kept me reading...in a constant state of complete befuddlement at her various ineptitudes. Can't say that I liked her, since she and I could not be more different in the way we see life and how we deal with the hard things that happen in that life, but at the end I did have a grudging respect that she managed to make it through to the end. She's a tough lady, that's for sure.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessamyn (new) - added it

Jessamyn Tuttle That was pretty much my reaction as well. I ran out of time on the book but wasn't interested enough in her self-destruction to get it back out to finish it.