Liza Wiemer's Reviews > Skinny

3152001
Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: arc, bea, author-interviewed-on-my-blog
Read in July, 2012

Oh boy! Does SKINNY know how to crawl into your mind and mess you up! She's vicious, and I haven't met one girl who hasn't heard her at least once in her lifetime!!!! Does she speak to you a lot? Do you listen to her?
You must read Skinny to find out what I mean. Pick up this YA novel and you'll go on a journey of discovering one's worth with Ever, the main character of this novel. This is a powerful story about body image, obesity, perceptions, family dynamics, and learning to love yourself. This is not a novel for the weak of heart. Drastic, necessary measures were taken in this novel. Anyone who knows someone who has been morbidly obese or has ever heard a voice in their head telling them that they're ugly, needs to read this novel.
I deeply appreciate Donna Cooner's honesty. She doesn't mince words. The story goes quickly. There is a cast of characters readers will find interesting, especially Rat who could be a role model for a lot of guys out there. I also was taken in by Whitney who was absolutely obsessed with doing a makeover for Ever. Like her or dislike her, there are girls out there just like her. Makes you think about how focused our society is on image!
One last thing—and it's a personal perspective. If you see yourself first as a body, then it's hard to ever be truly happy. But see yourself first as a mind, heart, soul and then a person who has a body to do positive things with the gifts you've been given, and I truly believe it'll be much easier to focus on achieving your dreams and goals. Think about it.
Put this on your must-read list. Discover Skinny - find the true Ever. You just might find yourself.

My deepest thanks to Scholastic for the ARC I picked up at the BEA of Skinny.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate I'm reading this one right now and I love it! Great review!