Katrina's Reviews > Deep Play

Deep Play by Diane Ackerman

Jul 30, 12

Read in July, 2005

(Review originally written July 2005, if anyone can remember what book drama was happening on the 16th of July that year...)

Diane Ackerman, I am convinced, could write an entire book on moldy bread and it would be a treat. So far, I have followed her through gardens, grey matter, Shakespeare, penguins and albatross, and into taste buds, angels, and the fighting rats of Proust. I was saving Deep Play because I had already run through every other Ackerman book I could buy or call in from the library, but decided that the let-down after the 16th was worth an occasion.

With her gift for poetry and an unique bent for science, Ackerman makes real the wonderful, and helps us see, feel, and taste where the wonder comes in. With Deep Play, she attempts to explain the waking dream state that scientists, artists, and mystics must enter in order to discover and create, and the ceremonies and agreements that connect us all.

All in all, as good an experience as ever. She treats her readers like friends, and I love to argue with her almost as much as I want to follow wherever she takes it into her head to go. My only complaint? This was a brief book, and had me hankering for another go at An Alchemy of Mind to complete my education.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Play.