Judy's Reviews > Doctor Sally

Doctor Sally by P.G. Wodehouse

Jul 22, 12

Read in July, 2012

This book was published in 1932 and it is an adaptation of Wodehouse's play, "Good Morning, Bill". This material reads like a play and I think that it actually would have been more effective on the stage than on the page. In fact, I didn't realize that this was an adapted play when I was reading, but in my mind, I was seeing it as a play. What saves the material is the genius of P.G. Wodehouse's dialogue and the zany situations that he creates. Bill Bannister, who has gone from one relationship to another, falls instantly in love with an American, Dr. Sally Smith. Sally, however, views Bill as a charming, wealthy, leech on society which is more than she can tolerate during those depression years. Complicating the situation is society's attitude toward women in medicine, Bill's uncle who is determined to keep Bill away from Lottie Higginbotham, a flashy, much-married bleach blonde who just wants to have fun, and the appearance of "Squiffy" Tidmouth, Bill's old friend and Lottie's former husband. Once all of the characters are introduced and the situations established, the typical Wodehouse miscues and misunderstandings began to run rampant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Sally.