Red Haircrow's Reviews > The Aberration

The Aberration by Bard Constantine

Jul 22, 12

Read in July, 2012

From the opening scenes, it was clear the author of „The Aberration“ had a powerful vision and direction in which he wished the story to move, and he kept on pace throughout. The tension quickly builds as Guy Mann and a group of co-workers are trapped in the mill factory with the creatures described as “the Others” eagerly awaiting any opportunity to breach the locked security doors. One moment’s weakness, and those creatures flow inside and the battle for survival begins.

For Guy, however, it is just another outbreak of the phenomenon called The Aberration, which he has been fighting throughout the ages of mankind. We are provided flashbacks into those past times when denizens from the “other side” have broken through to our world, and the type of bizarre, supernatural and/or bestial transformations they can take. Additionally, we are offered brief sketches of some of the people who fought alongside Guy, also were also mysteriously recruited to combat the shifting deadly creatures.

I found the writing quite stylish and distinct, though often I wished for less descriptive details for general things so such phrasing would be more outstanding for the dramatic, horrific parts of the story, of which there were plenty. The problems I had with the work overall were some editing issues, clarity in POV and conflicting or inaccurate descriptions. Sword-fighting and usage is a long-time interest of mine, for example, so naturally that caught my eye.

It’s often important for me to have empathy with or form some kind of connection to the main character, and admittedly I never developed that for Guy Mann, but that took nothing away from the story itself which is fast moving, packed with action and inspires you to imagine the terrible Others as well as what you might do if trapped in such a situation. I felt “The Aberration” could have used some revision in certain areas, but for the most part, I enjoyed this work of quite imaginative horror and feel the author will only continue to gain in ability and skill.

Update: The author has completed revisions to this work since my review was complete. I think its an excellent example of how writers, of which I am one and have to make such revisions myself believe me), continue to add to the professionalism and growth of independently produced writing that as Mark Coker, the creator of Smashwords, states “can be as good or better than traditionally published book.”

Originally posted on review/interview site http://flyingwithredhaircrow.wordpres...
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Aberration.