Jen's Reviews > Lost in the Forest

202716
Nov 16, 2008

bookshelves: psychological, womens-fiction
Read in November, 2008

This book was very well-written, and the story was compelling. I had a hard time putting it down sometimes, and so I couldn't allow myself to read any in the morning before work because I would have been late. Despite this, I gave the book only 4 stars because of how it made me feel - meaning that it's just a book about being sad. At least the first two-thirds of the book are all about how different family members are sad about a tragic death. Well, yeah - of course they are! It turns out that the point of the book is one particular child at that coming-of-age time in her life, and her affair with a much older man to cope with her grief, and her reconnection to her biological father to help her heal from both the death and her unhealthy affair (it was her step-father who died). But you don't really reach this point until you've read most of the book already. Since it seems this was meant to be Daisy's story more than anyone else's, it would have been nice to have the first half of the book set the reader up for understanding that it's her story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in the Forest.