Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*'s Reviews > Dark Companion

Dark Companion by Marta Acosta

Jul 24, 12

Read from July 22 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

I had never heard of this book before, but it really caught my eye when I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and I just felt compelled to pick it up. In this case, cover lust took over because the dust jacket is pretty vague, but even not knowing alot about it I bought it anyway because of how interesting it looked! In any case, I was really glad I picked it up because I was hooked right from the prologue. There is romance in this, but the main focus of the story is Jane's coming into herself and the creepy circumstances regarding the prestigious Birch Academy she has recently transferred to.

This book was definately not what I expected, but in a good way. There is great romance, but like I said there is alot more going on than just a love story. I was completely taken by surprise at the different twists and turns throughout the story. It had a lot of creepiness in it as well.

I would have given this five stars and honestly the only reason why I didn't was because there were a few things that disturbed me to the point of causing nausea. I won't give too much away here, if you want to know more just send me a message and I can go into more details if anyone is interested. It might not be a big deal to other people...but it caused my squeamish-ness to flare up.

All in all, this was a really great read. I liked it so much that I set aside the other books I'm currently reading to finish this one right away. If you like gothic stories surrounded by creepiness-you will most likely love this book!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Companion.

07/23/2012 page 105
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Great review, dear!! :)

Branwen *Blaidd Drwg* Liz wrote: "Great review, dear!! :)"

Thanks so much, Liz! :D *hugs*

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz It is just the truth *hugs back* ;)

Branwen *Blaidd Drwg* Liz wrote: "It is just the truth *hugs back* ;)

After reading your reviews I really want to open the books and read them but I have exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaams :("

Oh no, exams!?!? BOOO!!!!! That sucks. :? In what classes do you have exams? Are they over soon?

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Yeah. It really DOES suck... *sigh*

I wrote my German exam yesterday. Six hours... My head felt like it would explode after it.

On tuesday I will write Biology O___o, wedneyday History and on friday my last one: English....
Then I am done :)

Branwen *Blaidd Drwg* Liz wrote: "Yeah. It really DOES suck... *sigh*

On tuesday I will write Biology O___o, wedneyday History and on ..."

Eeek! So one more week of hell and then you are free? Hang in there pal! You can do it! You will ace these horrible tests and then have all summer to read awesome books! *cheers*

photo pinkie_pie_by_dfer32-d4hx76w_zps0135b83d.jpg

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz

It will be a hard week, but I will manage it! I will kill this shit!! muahahaha :D
Thanks dear! :) ♥