Gretchen's Reviews > Coraline

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: childrens, magic, middle-grade, read-to-the-boy, fantasy
Read from July 21 to 22, 2012, read count: 1

Coraline is a clever, adventurous girl who is wise beyond her years. When the bricked up corridor off the drawing room in her flat suddenly leads to another another flat that looks oddly like hers, with parents somewhat like hers but not quite, Coraline's normal adventures take a more ominous turn.

I greatly enjoyed this otherworldly tale of a young girl's journey to get back to her real, if less than perfect, life and help others along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.

Quotes Gretchen Liked

Neil Gaiman
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

Neil Gaiman
“I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted just like that, and it didn't mean anything? What then?”

Neil Gaiman
“What's your name,' Coraline asked the cat. 'Look, I'm Coraline. Okay?'
'Cats don't have names,' it said.
'No?' said Coraline.
'No,' said the cat. 'Now you people have names. That's because you don't know who you are. We know who we are, so we don't need names.”

Neil Gaiman
“Because,' she said, 'when you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave.”

Neil Gaiman
“How do I know you'll keep your word?" asked Coraline.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."
"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.
"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back.”

Neil Gaiman
“The names are the first things to go, after the breath has gone, and the beating of the heart. We keep our memories longer than our names.”

Neil Gaiman
“They were having an argument as old and comfortable as an armchair, the kind of argument that no one ever really wins or loses but which can go on forever, if both parties are willing.”

Neil Gaiman
“Mirrors,' she said, 'are never to be trusted.”