Stephanie Ward's Reviews > Madly & the Jackal

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: owned
Read in August, 2012

**SERIES REVIEW**

The 'Madly' series is some of the best mermaid fiction I've ever read. I'm not a huge fan of mermaid fiction, but this series has endeared itself to me. The first book in the series, Madly, is a short novella that introduces the reader to the characters, the world of Atlas and Slumber, and to the back story of the series. Even though the first book is really short, I immediately fell in love with the storyline and the characters. Madly is a fiesty heroine who also happens to be Mer royalty. Her relationship with Jackson is super intense and only gets better as the series develops.

The second and third books in the series were full length novels, which made me excited. The story continues effortlessly from each book into the next, which makes for great flow. The characters grow and gain more depth with each novel, which makes them all the more realistic and easy to root for. As I mentioned, the romance between Madly and Jackson is really steamy. I normally don't care for a ton of romance in young adult fiction because it comes off as corny, but this relationship was spot on for me. The scenes between Madly and Jackson are so well written that my toes were tingling and I had butterflies in my stomach. I rarely get physical reactions from novels, and when I do - I know that it is something really well done.

I really liked how the author explained the back story of the Mer culture and history, as well as the history of Slumber and its inhabitants. She went above and beyond by not just writing about mermaids, but including other interesting beings - such as the Lore and Seers, which I thought added a ton of uniqueness to the series. The series deals with serious issues that all readers can identify with; ones like family, friends, fate, courage, love, and responsibility. It's definitely a fresh voice in the mermaid and young adult genre. I honestly can't say enough about this series. It captured my imagination, my mind, and my heart early on. I couldn't stop reading the books, and I certainly didn't want them to end. This is honestly one of the best young adult series I've ever read. Highly, highly recommended!

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madly & the Jackal.