Ashley's Reviews > Summer Sisters

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

Jun 30, 14

Read in January, 1998

To be entirely honest, I've never been enchanted by the way Judy Blume writes.

However, I've also never been able to deny that she has a special talent which I truely enjoy. It's simple: I like her because she makes a certain brand of adult incredibly uncomfortable. Not only that but in the past a portion within that percentage has become full-blown angry. And all this over children's books. Or should I say, Y.A. Fiction targeted at girls.

For those of you out there who are familiar with the typical reception of the genre, 'nough said.

She is not a universally loved author and many of her titles are banned all across the world, especially in the United States. The main reason given is for "inappropriate content" regarding subjects like the sexual identity of young girls and the changes they experience during puberty. I've never understood how young girls finding solace in the pages of a book dealing with the very issues they face on a daily basis could be classified as inappropriate. But, then again, I was a confused teenage girl once so maybe I have a biased perspective.

Luckily it doesn't matter that not everyone loves her books because her target demographic enjoys her to this day. I highly recommend this book for all Y.A females

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Sisters.