Bookstorequeer's Reviews > Cardboard

Cardboard by Doug TenNapel

Jul 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed, fantasy, graphic-novel, young-adult
Read on July 22, 2012

I wasn't completely sold on this title when I started it. It seemed a little cheesy with the overdone, "so poor they could only afford cardboard" thing, with a mysterious man who gives them a magical gift. But, there are of course moments of great humour and fantastic writing (I like this guy, Tennapel, he's good!) and by the end, I was loving it. If you can hang on through the cheesiness of the original premise then you should be smiling by the end of it.

Since this graphic novel is aimed at younger readers, I think it leans a tad too heavily on the moral that's put into the end of the book, being rather blatant about the "we can change and good people are good" sort of thing. There was similarly blatant imagery in Ghostopolis, regarding Jesus and religion but they're still enjoyable stories if you're willing to work through those parts (and you should be, because they're great stories.

I really wish there was a 3.5 rating, because this does fall somewhere between "I liked it" and "I really liked it" because of certain things and particular moments. Just read it already, okay?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cardboard.