Wendy's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from July 22 to 25, 2012

A great book for younger YA readers, The Age of Miracles focuses on those trying middle school years during a bleak turning point in Earth's history.

This book is geared more toward the younger YA set. It focuses mainly on the main character, Julia's, life growing up during the slowing, her interaction with friends, boys and family. It paints a very bleak picture of how we humans have done so much but are so unprepared for the unexpected changes that could occur. What if the sun stopped coming up or it never went down? What if the power went off and never came back on? Or what if it never rained again? How would we survive?

There was a deep sadness in the tone of the book. As an adult reading this book, I felt like it could have been so much more. Such a great premise, I would have liked to see it expanded as a dystopian adventure of sorts.

There were some good quotes in this story. My favorite:-
"How much sweeter life would be if it all happened in reverse, if, after decades of disappointments, you finally arrived at an age when you had conceded nothing, when everything was possible."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.