Robin Carter's Reviews > Deadweather and Sunrise

Deadweather and Sunrise by Geoff Rodkey

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: young-adult

Review:
I have for many years steered away from reading and reviewing YA books, My son is grown, as are most of my nephews and nieces. But then I became a granddad, and suddenly I rediscovered a need to become part of that world, knowing what's good out there so I can make sure I provide the right books and good books for my granddaughter to read, to help give her a love for reading.

Does The Chronicles of the Egg "Deadweather and Sunrise" live up to the exciting cover art? Yes I was very happy to discover it did. A little bit of historical flavour (no particular accurate place but just the feel and objects, a pseudo 18th / 19th century British Empire)
Egg (real name Egbert) lives his story in a funny likeable way, and in a way that lacks any self pity for his circumstances or the things life throws at him, a great lesson for kids today, tailor that with the very dry sense of humour that the author (Rodkey) seems to have and which he lets permeate the book. His world building which is so important for Fantasy is excellent, delivered to grow with the imagination rather than lumpy sections of information dumping.

I for one am looking forward to the next instalment, and really do recommend this for all ages.

(Parm)

Product Description
DEADWEATHER, a sweaty little pirate-infested island, is home to EGG, thirteen years old and prey to a pair of cruel and stupid older siblings.
But when Egg's family disappears in a freak accident, he finds himself living on SUNRISE island with the glamorous Pembroke family and their feisty daughter Millicent. Finally, life seems perfect.
Until someone tries to throw him off a cliff.
Suddenly, Egg is lost in a world of cutthroat pirates and powerful villains. Only Millicent - and a one-handed, possibly deranged cabin boy - can help him as he hurtles into the deadliest adventure of his life . .
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadweather and Sunrise.