Aimee's Reviews > The Baker's Daughter

The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy

Jul 23, 12

Read from July 22 to 23, 2012

I really loved this book a lot. It is one of those books that I know I will be thinking about for a long time. Sarah McCoy takes what would seem to be two totally different story lines and blends them into an unforgettable story. One part of the story is set in the present time and focuses on Reba who feels lost and alone and does not know what to do with her life. She is in a relationship with Riki who works for the US Border Patrol but has been having doubts. While learning about her life we also read about the dangers and frustrations that Riki deals with in his job. Lots of questions are brought up about the system and what is the best way to deal with illegal immigrants.

Along with the story set in the present we also learn about Elsie who grew up in Germany during WWII. We read about her experiences as a German during the Nazi regime and watch her make some difficult decisions that will effect her life and her families forever. Elsie's story is heartbreaking and emotional and I was really moved by her story.

There are so many wonderful parts to this book: the characters that are complicated and feel so real, the two different stories that are both thought provoking and interesting, the descriptions of both Germany and Texas that added so much to the book, and finally the incorporation of the food that was described throughout the book. I was hungry the whole time I was reading and was thrilled to see some of the recipes talked about are included at the end of the book.

This is a must read for the historical fiction reader. I learned a lot about living in Germany during WWII and the immigration problem facing the US right now. It was beautifully written, a joy to read. By the end I was in tears and deeply moved by this story.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baker's Daughter.

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Sounds wonderful!

Aimee It was a great read!