Sara's Reviews > The People of Forever Are Not Afraid

The People of Forever Are Not Afraid by Shani Boianjiu

Jul 29, 2012

liked it
Read from July 22 to 29, 2012

I haven't been sure how to rate this book. It's a far cry from my usual reading material, and I doubt I would have read it except Boianjiu is the youngest 5 Under 35 ever, and this galley was given away at BEA.

This book is engaging, fascinating, disturbing, and at times disgusting. I think it's an important portrait of what it's like for women serving in the Israeli army (it's fiction but no doubt heavily based on the author's or her friends' own experiences in the army), and so different from my own life that I think it was also important to read and get a better understanding of what life is like for women half a world away.

Boianjui's language is interesting (I'm not sure but am assuming the original text was written in Hebrew with bits here and there in English, and then translated) and at times poetic and fresh. I'm positive some of what she's doing is lost in translation, but I think we still get a great feel for contemporary language in Israeli youth as well as some interesting literary style.

I'd recommend this to Middle East enthusiasts, hardcore feminists, literati, and Jewish or Arab people, mostly. I'm not sure if you can't hit one or more of those interest categories this read is for you (I sort of fall into all of those categories).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The People of Forever Are Not Afraid.