Nancy's Reviews > The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

Nov 11, 08

Read in November, 2002, read count: 12

If I could reccommend one book this is it. I hesitated at first when it won the newberry, but it is wonderful. I teach it every year in every class I am teaching, and I reccommend it to every teacher I encounter. Read it before you see the movie, as I can already tell from the previews that the movie has nothing on the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Despereaux.

Quotes Nancy Liked

Kate DiCamillo
“There is nothing sweeter in this sad world than the sound of someone you love calling your name.”

Kate DiCamillo
“Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform.”
tags: fate

Kate DiCamillo
“Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark. Begin at the beginning. Tell Gregory a story. Make some light.”

Kate DiCamillo
“Despereaux marveled at his own bravery.
He admired his own defiance.
And then, reader, he fainted.”

Kate DiCamillo
“At the thought of being eaten by rats, Despereaux forgot about being brave. He forgot about not being a disappointment. He felt himself heading into another faint. But his mother, who had an excellent sense of dramatic timing, beat him to it; she executed a beautiful, flawless swoon, landing right at Despereaux's feet.”

Kate DiCamillo
“Love, as we have already discussed, is a powerful, wonderful, ridiculous thing, capable of moving mountains. And spools of thread.”

Kate DiCamillo
“Farewell” is not the word that you would like to hear from your mother as you are being led to the dungeon by 2 oversize mice in black hoods.
Words that you would like to hear are “Take me instead, I will go to the dungeon in my sons place.” There is a great deal of comfort in those words.”

Kate DiCamillo
“There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman. Such was the fate of Chiaroscuro. His heart was broken. Picking up the spoon and placing it on his head, speaking of revenge, these things helped him to put his heart together again. But it was, alas, put together wrong.”

Kate DiCamillo
“He was reading from the beginning so that he could get to the end, where the reader was assured that the knight and the fair maiden lived together happily ever after.”

Kate DiCamillo
“And so he was reading the story as if it were a spell and the words of it, spoken aloud, could make magic happen.”

Kate DiCamillo
“Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark.”

Kate DiCamillo
“There ain't a body, be it mouse or man, that ain't made better by a little soup.”