Katelyn Brooke's Reviews > The Twilight Saga

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Jul 22, 12

** spoiler alert ** My BREAKING DAWN Review (Finally Finished) <3
Welp... I honestly didn't hate it, but I was disappointed. The whole thing read like fan fiction (fiction made just for the fans that expected the easiest way out of the conflict) to me: cute, but not the conclusion I wanted to hear for my beloved Bella and Edward. The wedding/honeymoon business was very ideal (both for them and for me book wise). I really loved it. However, the second Carlisle said Bella was pregnant my heart just sank. How could Stephanie Meyer do that to me?
Because, I mean, the “Bella” book one was so excellent, but the baby thing threw me off… I turned the page to see Jacob's perspective, *groan*. I like Jacob, but I didn't want to spend the final installment of the twilight saga in the mind of "what could have been". And also it all turned to “Jacob Time” for so many chapters; it was insane. Surprisingly enough, Jacob was quite funny and I enjoyed his part a lot. The insane/awesome Jacob part of the book was still a good break from Bella (she was really bugging me in the end of eclipse and, sort of but not as much, in the beginning of breaking dawn too). I thought it was lame how he just gave up fighting for Bella and his hatred for vampires in like ONE chapter. My Jacob wouldn't do that. After that, Jacob was painted as a spineless and lovesick character that inevitably loses. Then on the Bella/evil fetus subject again: when she found out she was pregnant I was like *gasp* that's really super weird! During these chapters, I felt like Bella was nothing more than a stupid, weak, little human. Over all, I really felt like Bella had become a totally different character while she was pregnant and I didn’t know her anymore. Her "self sacrificing" protectiveness put a strain on her and Edward's relationship (namely, deleting any edward/bella time completely except for a brief hand holding session). Also, Rosalie was utterly obnoxious in her baby-frenzy. I am surprised, too, that Emmett didn't twist her into a pretzel himself.
But then, that CREATURE was born. I was completely disgusted by the whole scene (not in a BAD I-hate-this-book sort of way, but in a Ew-Bella-is-leaking-all-over-the-cullen-house sort of way) They named her, Renesmee, and I laughed, thinking that is exactly what a 12 year old writer would name the Bella/Edward child. AND THEN, *triumphant trumpets sounding* Jacob imprints! I literally laughed for 10 minutes! It was weird and kind of lame, but totally unexpected, and for that, I applaud SM.
Then, Bella was changed. After her transformation, I truly was proud of Bella. After all, she'd gotten what she'd wanted: An eternity with Edward and a child for both of them to love. Not to mention intense beauty, super speed and strength, and no "newborn cravings" to control. Wasn't this what I’d expected for Breaking Dawn? Wasn't this what I, an on-and-off kind of obsessed Edward/Bella fan, dreamed of? It was. But it didn't feel the same. They would be happy, I knew that, but the wonder of Bella and Edward's awe-striking relationship was that all they needed to be happy was one another. But now they had a child to focus on, and I felt like I didn't get to see the happily married couple who could conquer the world as long as they had each other.
During the period directly after Bella's transformation, I began to feel whole again. The *Thing* hadn't been mentioned in a while and I was home-free to enjoy some quality Bella/Edward time. The hunting chapter was very cute, and I enjoyed Bella's birthday too. But then Renesmee was back in focus… Jacob and Nessie's relationship continued to blossom. It was cute to see a compassionate side of Jacob, but I always saw him as the "Smart-alecky-everyone-can’t-resist-type" of the series. To say the least, I was Jacob-starved.
Then the whole Volturi business began. Their return seemed inevitable, but it just added to the many reasons I despised the..."child". As soon as I’d read that Alice and Jasper bolted, I felt betrayed. Dear Alice, the purest of the loyal, headstrong character I’d grown to admire, left her family at the news of their death sentence. I felt alone… I mean everyone (well, maybe just me, but everyone) took Alice’s (and Jasper’s) opinion very highly in consideration and I depended on her to put things right. But who needs 'em? Who needs Alice… my best (fictional) friend who I could count on for everything; her outlook, advice, complements, judgment, ect. Well, I certainly did not need her. So I read on.
The gathering of the "witnesses" was quite interesting, and I especially enjoyed the part where Renesmee referred to Edward as "Daddy" for the first time. Maybe this kid wasn't so bad after all? The Voluri arrived and within 5 minutes automatically believed Bella and Edward's story. Then why the heck are they sticking around?! It made absolutely no sense. Sure they claimed to want "justice" and everyone knew that but honestly, we all knew how it would end. Get on with it. Finally, it looked like the Cullens weren't going to win after all. Bella's pessimistic assessment of the situation and tearful goodbye to Edward, Jacob, and Nessie had me in desperation. Why? This wasn't the goodbye I was anticipating at all! Before I began the book I had prepared myself for a different one. Bella was supposed to be leaving Jacob and all of Forks to live as a vampire with Edward! That was the emotion I was ready for. But no, lame as it was, SM's magical words had me emotional for a character I didn't even care for. Yeah, I was impressed too.
Just as the pressure was building up, the lovely Alice and Jasper arrive gracefully. (Of course.) I was so glad. Even though Bella had been following Alice's "clues" I still couldn't get out of my brain that she up and left town! Super Alice saves all of vampire-(and 'shape-shifter') kind and everyone lives happily ever after.
Right? Bella and Edward can live at peace with their family and co exists with their human friends. Bella has perfected her talent and is now unstoppable! Edward finally finds a way to read Bella's mind, and the two (err....three) of them are free to live in a cutesy little cottage in Forks.
So now, that I’ve ranted for ages over why I didn't care for this book, I’d figure I’d break it down nice-n-easy for those who are very err....human, as Edward would say:
Top Ten Things In 'Breaking Dawn' That Bugged Me:
10. The concept of a Bella/Edward child...too bizarre!
9. Jacob’s entire loss of personality after Nessie was born.
8.What happened to Quil and Embry?! No happy ending for Jacob & his best boyfriends?!
7.Marcus' boredom.... I just really don’t get it!! That guy needs some Jimmy Fallon in his life!!!
6. Charlie is on a "need to know" basis?!
5. Charlie is totally with Seth's mom!
4. Leah needs to get some helpful advice… Like she needs to read a SEVENTEEN magazine or something!!! She can't keep asking Jacob about her 'lady problems'…
3. Renesmee's name. COME ON!
2. Two words....JAZZ & EM?! I liked ‘Rose’, but the nicknames went down hill from there…
1. The Volturi's dominance over all mythical creatures! Come on, let's just have Aro hold hand's with Hermione, Jacob, and Casper and we can all get along!

Top Ten Best Things In 'Breaking Dawn':
10. Jacob's Preface. Life Sucks, and then you die. "Yeah, I should be too lucky!"
9. Leah Clearwater.
8. Seth's utter adoration for the Cullens. The kid probably has a 'Cullen family' Calendar in his room… LOL
7. Bella’s ‘self-control’… Because without it the book would have been so much longer and I couldn’t have been able to read it or stand it!!!
6. Jacob's chapter names. 'Waiting for the damn fight to start!' & 'Sure as #^$* didn't see that one coming'…
5. The Wedding. No snide comment here. It was utterly perfect.
4. I felt that the book didn’t fit together with the first three, but all in all I got my happy ending and that’s what mattered to me. And I love it the whole book with all of it’s flaws that I’d love to correct. I'm so happy that all the main characters got their happy ending and I feel complete with the ending, like I'm not going to kill her for making that the end like some books I’ve read.
3. "You've been holding out on me."
2. The fact that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee (a bit)… I mean he can stay with her forever werewolf as he is and that will be absolutely fantastic!! LOL
1. The ending… Only because Edward got to read Bella’s mind for the first time… Since that’s how it began, with Edward trying to read her mind…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twilight Saga.