Elizabeth's Reviews > Dark Places

Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: thriller, mystery
Read from July 27 to 29, 2012

Oh. My. Heck.

I don't think I am the only person to read "Gone Girl" and then *need* to read "Dark Places."

The books are similar because the reader starts out knowing one thing is true and then doubt creeps in. Libby Day is the only survivor when her brother slaughters the rest of her family violently and, apparently, as an offering to satan in 1985.

She was 7 when the murders occurred. And her testimony is what largely sends her brother to prison.

And like "Gone Girl" Flynn slowly reveals the truth through the present and remembrances from the past. And like "Gone Girl," Flynn grabbed me up and took me willingly on this wild and crazy ride. My husband had read this one first and I kept wanting hints and clues to the mystery. And is this guess right? Is this theory on track? Never mind that theory, I have a new one. What about this one?

He did not tell me a thing. And I am glad. So I am not going to give any real hints or spoilers.

But suffice it to say, "Dark Places" is not a terribly name. It's extremely accurate. It is dark and heavy. The atmosphere Flynn creates is palpable. And I can feel it pushing down on me like the gravity that holds me to the earth. And I really don't like heavy books because it really sticks with me. But I am happy to read Flynn's book. It seems to real and in it's way is frightening--especially about the poor person caught up in the legal system. And the weight of depression and fear and the unknown. But wow. Flynn had me. She really had me. Really good thriller.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Places.